Over 30 years of expertise in energy markets, comprising integrated advisory and software solutions.
Energy market studies
Information and analysis of key Asia-Pac energy markets
We explain market trends, interactions and policies, leveraging our market modelling capability to provide market projections and qualitative and quantitative assessments. Our studies identify key issues in a given market, and frequently inform investment decisions and asset valuation processes.
We advise on:
- Electricity markets
- Gas markets
- Integrated energy markets
- Renewable energy targets
- Feed-in tariffs
- Carbon pricing
- Carbon trading
30 years of expertise and data-driven insights
We advise on a wide range of energy policy issues, including energy market design, legislation, regulatory impact and cost/benefit evaluation. Our energy policy assessments are supported with quantitative modelling and data analysis where required.
We advise on:
- Carbon taxation policy
- Renewable energy markets
- Energy efficiency measures
- Energy market design choices
- Feed-in tariff design
- Incentives for generator bidding behaviour
- Industry competition assessments
- Industry governance structural assessments
- Cost/benefit analysis of demand-side solutions
Transactions and due diligence
Comprehensive energy market research
We advise both buy-side and sell-side organisations on mergers and asset acquisitions. Services include due diligence, advisory services, asset valuations and data analysis. In some instances we also support clients with quick refresher workshops to update staff on key issues in the industry and the regulatory environment.
Energy market modelling
Industry-leading simulations and market expertise
We have a strong history in market modelling and energy policy modelling in the Asia-Pacific region. Our proprietary market model PROPHET is widely used in Australia for market simulations and power system reliability studies.
Our approach combines:
- Detailed technical understanding of energy sector models
- In-depth knowledge of specific energy markets and their design features
- Game theory, informed by analysis of actual market outcomes
- Issues around fuel contracting, electricity contracting and contract pricing
- Statistics and sampling methods
Electricity Market Design
Pioneering market design and implementation
We advise market operators, regulators and participants on electricity market design and implementation issues. These include:
- Market rules, design issues and options
- Systems implementation
- Operations and market procedures
- Dispatch engines and dispatch and pricing issues
- Generator operations and strategy
- Technical training
- Power system operations and procedures
- Interfaces between market/system operators and market participants
- Settlement and metering systems
Energy Market Systems Auditing
In-depth understanding and analysis of market systems
With extensive experience in electricity market audits and technical studies, we have audited electricity markets both in Australia and throughout the Asia-Pacific region. Our audits include testing of pricing, billings and settlement algorithms, insights into compliance, reviews of market operations, and consideration of international best practices.
We maintain an up-to-date understanding of the electricity sector and possess a deep understanding of the underlying systems implementation.
We provide a range of training services, either at your premises or ours. Please contact us for a quote.
Topics covered include:
- Basic training in IES software products including PROPHET, NEO and OEC. This training is usually included in the software purchase, support or retail packages, but we can run additional courses.
- Advanced training in the above packages
- Basic training in electricity market design and operations
- Advanced training in electricity market topics, such as trading strategy